If you read my previous post you would know that Katie and I are trying to do the impossible…construct two different Silk Spectre costumes in less than 3 days so we can wear them for tomorrow’s midnight showing of the Watchmen movie. Last night Katie came over and we worked late into the night fitting and sewing her costume. Hers was actually the most difficult of the two because it has several different pieces and has to actually fit her. Mine is a more loose costume and doesnt have to fit perfectly since there will be a tie around the waist.
The first task was to create the top of Katie’s costume. I cut out a loose block shape of fabric and pinned it on her (Im surprised I didnt totally prick her all over!) to determine the shape. Then I went in and cut the fabric and sewed it to create the halter top. I would normally have tried to make a pattern but I didnt have the materials or time so I played it risky and went straight to the fabric. Because we dont have time to do buttons or zippers we decided to make the dress loose so that it would fit over her head and the fake corset around the middle would create the fit. I made the skirt similarly to the top by just draping it then sewing it to the top.
So we finished the basic part of the dress, I need to cut the bottom (shorty short skirt!) and re-do the neckline since the hem looks off and doesnt drape right. I was also able to fit Katie for the mock corset and neck piece, now they just need to be hemmed and have button holes in the back for the corset and Velcro for the neck piece.
Since time is not a luxury and I dont have a dress form, we dont have the option to make things perfectly and put in a lot of clasps and closures. So to work around this corsets and Velcro will allow for Katie to adjust the costume simply.
Tonight I’ll begin construction on my costume, it should go quicker since as I mentioned, it doesnt have to fit perfectly and I have a pattern that I can (hopefully) alter to fit. So 3/4s of a costume down, 1 whole costume to go! Wish us luck!
BTW- We took some photos last night to show the steps and progress so once I pull those off the camera I will add them to the blog.