it’s finally here! inauguration is tomorrow, and loving themed meals, i couldn’t think of anything better than searching for Obama recipes.
due to the fact that Obama is from Illinois, Chicago style hot dogs are a must! broil, boil, or steam some all beef hot dogs. make sure to keep all of the toppings accessible so your guests can add whatever their hearts desire. add some waffle fries and you’ve got a perfect lunch!
not a big hot dog fan? you can substitue the all beef hot dog for a tofurky dog or turkey dog!
another great idea is Obama’s Family Chili!
OBAMA’S FAMILY CHILI:
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 green pepper, chopped
- several cloves of garlic, chopped
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 pound of ground turkey/beef
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon ground oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1/4 teaspoon ground basil
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 2 to 4 tomatoes, depending on size, chopped
- 1 can red kidney beans
- 3 cups cooked white or brown rice
- Grated Cheddar cheese, chopped onions and sour cream, for garnish
- On medium heat, using a large soup pot, saute onion, green pepper and garlic in olive oil until soft. Add ground turkey or beef; brown.In a small bowl, combine spices together into a mixture, and then add to ground turkey or beef mixture. Add red wine vinegar. Add tomatoes and let simmer until tomatoes cook down. Add kidney beans and cook for a few more minutes.Serve over white or brown rice. Garnish with grated Cheddar cheese, onions and sour cream.
i found this delicious dessert, titled ‘Michelle Obama’s Apple Cobbler.‘ i am pretty sure that Michelle Obama had nothing to do with this recipe, but it’s definitely a Midwestern treat! what i love about this recipe is that it goes great with some vanilla ice cream, it’s moist, and perfectly sweet!
MICHELLE OBAMA’S APPLE COBBLER:
- 8 Granny Smith apples, peeled and sliced [or a bag of frozen peeled apples]
- 1-1/2 to 2 cups of brown sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup white flour
Mix these ingredients together in a bowl and let it sit in the refrigerator overnight so the spice goes all the way through the apples.
- 3 sheets refrigerated pie crust
- 1 stick of butter
Preheat oven at 325 degrees. Butter and flour the bottom of a large baking dish. Roll out three pie crusts real thin — as thin as possible. Layer the bottom of the pan with 1-1/2 of the pie crusts and prick a few holes in it. Pour the apples with the liquid into the pie pan. Dot 3/4 of a stick of butter around the apples. Use the final 1-1/2 pie crusts to cover the apple mixture entirely (let the pie crust overlap the pan).
Pinch the edges of the dough around the sides of the pan so the mixture is completely covered.
Melt final 1/4 stick of butter and brush all over top of crust.
Reduce the oven temperature to 300 degrees. Bake at 300 for up to 3 hours — that’s what makes the crust flaky, like Barack likes it. Put the cobbler in the oven and go for a walk, go to the store, or do whatever you have to do around the house. Start looking at the cobbler after two and a half hours so it doesn’t burn.
need something to wash all of this delicious food down with? here are some great themed drink ideas:
OBAMA MAMA: Vodka, Kahlua, Coconut Liquer,and Milk over ice.
OBAMA EXPRESS-O: Expresso, Vodka and Baileys.
WASHINGTON APPLE: Apple Pucker, Cranberry Juice, Sprite, and Crown Royal.
TEAM OF RIVALS: Kahlua, Cocoanut rum, Baileys, layered in shot glass.
OBAMA MAMA II: Vodka, Orange Juice, Pineapple Juice, Blue Curreco, Cherry Garnish.
HOPE FLOAT: Baileys, Butterschotch Schnapps, float Creme de Cocoa on top.
of course, with all of my themed ideas, there is a drinking game included! sip on some of the above mentioned drinks while playing this game:
The Inauguration Day 2009 Drinking Game
Drink Every Time Someone Says:
- “Change” (as a noun)
- “Most anticipated inauguration in history”
- The name of a celebrity who thinks their opinion matters.
Drink Every Time:
- Joe Biden’s hairplugs are awkwardly noticeable.
- You see Oprah crying.
- W glances at his watch.
- You see a mediocre looking chick with political aspirations in the crowd.
- Chris Matthews appears to get a boner.
- You see Obama’s face on a t-shirt.
- A white guy pretends to know the words to a Black Eyed Peas song.
- Keith Olbermann comes off as a smug, pretentious asshole.
- Someone in the crowd passes out.
- You see a bearded hippie.
- Jesse Jackson takes credit for Obama’s campaign.
- A Fox News correspondent speaks in hushed tones with an air of faux patriotism.
hope you enjoy the inaugaration as much as i will!